Plato’s Closet is a store that buys and sells clothes and accessories. The company was founded in Canada in 1998, and as of 2017, operates over 480 stores in the United States and Canada. The company specializes in clothing for teenagers and young adults. Plato’s Closet is a retail store that buys and sells gently used clothing for teen and young adult men and women. And people can also make money by selling used clothes for cash.
Since the raising of this store, there are lots of queries for stores like plato’s closet in search engines. We are here to help with the list of places like plato’s closet to buy or sell your used clothes.
13 Best Stores Similar To Plato’s Closet
1. Beacon’s Closet
Beacon’s Closet is a New York-based company that has rave reviews for specializing in the sale of used clothing and accessories at great prices. Their specialty is selling secondhand brand name clothing and accessories that are in excellent condition, hard to come by, and at affordable prices.
With a wide variety of options that are sure to satisfy any style, Beacon’s Closet has become a treasure trove for fashion enthusiasts looking for one-of-a-kind items.
Customers have found that Beacon’s Closet’s online payment system is very convenient and hassle-free, making shopping from the comfort of their own home an easy experience.
• Buys, Sells, and Trades Used Clothing
• Specializes in Vintage and Modern Clothing
• Re-Sells Clothes That Make You Look Good
• Established and Well-Known Store in NYC
• Limited Locations
• Second-Hand Clothing May Not be for Everyone’s Taste
2. Buffalo Exchange
Buffalo Exchange is among the online places like plato’s closet that lets you buy (or sell) used clothing, accessories and shoes. You can browse through clothing for men and women of all sizes, and you can even browse by style or colour. The used clothing that you buy from there comes in good condition, and you can either keep or resell it within 3 days. You can also get free shipping and free returns for most clothing items.
The best thing about buying used clothing from this store is that you can buy clothing for $15 or less. You can also get discounts of up to 50% off the retail price. You can buy men’s clothing, women’s clothing, kids’ clothing and even shoes.
• Sell clothes for cash or trade
• Wide variety of accepted clothing for both men and women
• Online presence for buying and selling
• Limited geographic locations for physical stores
eBay is widely known as one of the most popular online marketplaces for buying and selling secondhand clothing and other gadgets. Founded in 1995, eBay has become one of the best sites for those looking to buy and sell used clothes on the go.
eBay operates in several countries including the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, and Spain, making it a convenient and easily accessible marketplace for people worldwide.
For those who love shopping for one-of-a-kind finds, eBay offers an extensive catalogue of secondhand clothing, accessories, and gadgets.
From vintage pieces to everyday wear, there is something for everyone on the platform. Shoppers can easily filter their search according to their preferences and budget, ensuring they find exactly what they are looking for.
• Large Online Marketplace for Buying and Selling Secondhand Goods
• Top Brands and Low Prices
• Free Shipping on Many Items
• Popular and Well-Established Platform
• Wide Variety of Product Categories
• Competition from Other Online Marketplaces
• Possible Scams and Fraudulent Sellers
Tradesy is one of the places like plato’s closet to buy and sell secondhand designer clothing, bags and shoes. Salespeople work with you personally throughout the buying process, ensuring that you receive a fair price on your beloved items.
Since Tradesy won’t give you money off your first purchase, instead they offer a $50 discount when you make your first purchase.
• A large selection of pre-owned goods
• Thoroughly tested products
• Affordable women’s clothing resale
• Ability to sell designer fashion
• Ability to sell a variety of items, including clothes, shoes, bags, and accessories
• Focus on designer items may limit the selection
• Buyers and sellers may not always agree on the condition of the item
5. Clothes Mentor
Clothes Mentor is one of the leading stores like Plato’s Closet that sells secondhand designer clothing in the market. Established in 1999, it has quickly become a fast-growing chain of stores that offer designer clothing at a discounted price of up to 70%. The store is well-known for its extensive collection of trendy and fashionable clothing pieces that cater to women of all shapes and sizes.
The products available here are of high quality and in excellent condition, thanks to its strict quality standards. Customers can choose from a wide range of designer brands making it a one-stop-shop for all fashion lovers.
In addition to its impressive collection, Clothes Mentor also offers exceptional customer service, with friendly and knowledgeable staff always ready to assist customers in their shopping experience.
• Affordable price for designer clothing
• Wide selection of high-quality clothing, shoes, and accessories
• Option to sell gently-used clothes and accessories for cash
• Multiple store locations across the US
• Secondhand clothing may not be in perfect condition
• Limited selection compared to traditional retail
ThredUp has revolutionized the way consumers view secondhand clothing. This online platform does more than just sell pre-owned clothes; it also serves as a home for those who want to make a difference in the fashion industry.
Their commitment to recirculating unwanted clothing, and educating their customers on environmental and economic issues surrounding the fashion industry, has earned them a reputation as leaders in the sustainable fashion movement.
Their approach to fashion is both informative and inspiring. They provide their customers with information on the impact of the fashion industry on the environment and the economy.
They also offer tips on how to create a sustainable wardrobe and take care of their clothes to make them last longer. Through this education, they seeks to encourage consumers to make more ethical and sustainable choices when it comes to fashion.
• More sustainable future for the fashion industry
• Extending the lifecycle of millions of garments
• Encourages consumers to shop secondhand and quit fast fashion
• Limited options for certain sizes and styles
• Lower-quality or damaged items may be sold
Swap is a well-established company that has been operating in the thrift industry for a long time. With over 350 locations spread throughout the United States and beyond its borders, it is evident that the service it provides to its customers has resonated with them.
Its origin can be traced back to Tucson, and it has since evolved to become one of the top players in the industry.
The company has an easy-to-follow website that allows customers to shop for secondhand clothing, furniture, and household items without any hassle.
The selection of items available on the website is extensive, meaning customers can find what they are looking for without too much trouble.
The company ensures that all items sold on its website meet its high standards by thoroughly inspecting them. This means that customers receive items that are in good condition, minimizing the chances of returning defective or damaged merchandise.
• Well-established in the thrift industry
• Offers premium and designer finds for $15 or less
• Large-scale interest rate swap transactions
• Online platform makes thrift shopping accessible and convenient
• Offers pre-owned clothing for babies, kids, maternity, men, and women
• Quality and condition of pre-owned items may vary
• Limited ability to try on items before purchasing
8. Uptown Cheapskate
Uptown Cheapskate is the perfect place to find second-hand items from high-end brands. It is a clothing marketplace that connects people with affordable brands in the U.S. and abroad.
It offers a free platform to shop for new clothing and accessories too. But what makes this site unique is that they have a team of in-house stylists that work with customers to find the right pieces.
• Find Second-hand Items from High-end Brands
• Sell Items at Significantly Reduced Prices
• More Expensive than Thrift Stores
• Price Set Based on Item’s Value
• Limited Availability Depending on Location
Poshmark is an app that caters to fashion-forward individuals who are keen on exploring the realm of affordable fashion. With over 150 million pieces of clothing listed, it provides a wide range of fashion items that satisfy even the most meticulous shoppers.
It is a store that fits the description of a perfect online marketplace for second-hand junkies. It is an excellent choice for anyone looking to score something unique without draining their bank accounts.
The app connects people who are passionate about fashion, providing an avenue for those seeking unique pieces at a fraction of their original cost.
The app is designed to provide a seamless experience, allowing users to browse new arrivals, delete what they don’t want, and make a purchase with just a few clicks. Whether you’re looking for a pre-loved outfit or vintage clothing, Poshmark has got you covered.
• Leading social marketplace for new and secondhand style
• Shop over 9,000 brands in every size
• Buy, sell, and discover fashion, home decor, beauty, and more
• Join millions of people on the social marketplace for all things style
• Offers a platform for selling unwanted clothing and accessories
• May not offer the same quality or guarantees as new items from traditional retailers
• Users may not receive the item as described or pictured
• Difficult to authenticate luxury items
As the ultimate online secondhand shopping destination, Vinted gives you access to a wide array of high-end brands and designer clothing in your home. With an easy search bar and easy payment, it allows you to shop the new styles you want, with the option to change your mind at any time.
• Access to a wide array of high-end brands
• Affordable prices for luxury items
• Sustainable and eco-friendly shopping option
• Ability to sell items and make money
• Option to swap clothes instead of selling
• Large community of over 4 million members
• Potential for counterfeit items or scams
• Limited ability to inspect items before purchase
• Potential for items to not match the description or have damages
• Limited ability to return items or get a refund
Mercari is one of the online stores like Plato’s Closet where you can buy and sell secondhand clothing at a discounted price. Items are listed for free and you can shop by brand, style, colour, size, and more.
This is a great site for finding clothes that you want to keep but do not have room for. It has over 1 million sellers and over 100,000 items for sale.
• Over 350K new items listed every day
• Easy payment methods and direct contact between buyer and seller
• Ability to sell a variety of items, not just clothing
• Curated second-hand shops in many cities and towns
• Opportunity to earn extra cash by selling unwanted items
• Offers a simple online store for buying and selling
• Fees can be steep, with a $2.95 fee for sales under $15 and 20% taken from the rest
• May take time and effort to sell items online
• Potential for scams or fraudulent buyers and sellers
Goodwill Industries is the largest social enterprise in the world, providing resources to people who are trying to build a better life for themselves and their families.
Its mission is to put people to work, to provide them with the skills they need to thrive, and to help them move farther along the path to self-sufficiency. It runs over 40,000 stores across North America and is an advocate for social justice. They are a great resource for second-hand clothing, home goods, and more.
– Offers bargain finds
– Great place to donate old clothes
– Offers a unique and personalized shopping experience
– Helps customers save money
– Increases sustainability by promoting secondhand shopping
– Limited selection of high-end items
– Some stores can be cramped and difficult to navigate
Depop is where it’s at when it comes to online second-hand shopping. Their app allows you to buy and sell items, and they even have a mobile site so you can shop anywhere. While most of their items are pieces of clothing, they also carry home goods and accessories. It offers a feature called “Sell It” where you can make money by selling your old items through the website and app.
• Popular marketplace with 15 million users
• Discover independent brands and creators
• Wide variety of items to buy and sell
• Explore and express personal style
• Some sellers donate proceeds to charity
• Can be a source of income for sellers
• Some sellers may price items unfairly or inaccurately
• Quality can vary, and items may not be as described
Second-hand shopping can be a great way to save money, but it’s important to discover the right store. I believe our list of stores like Plato’s Closet will be great for you to explore, though most of them might not ship worldwide or might not be available in your region.
Frequently Asked Questions About Plato’s Closet
What is Plato’s Closet?
Plato’s Closet is a unique retail store for teens and young people that specializes in buying and selling gently used clothing, shoes, and accessories.
What kind of items can I expect to find at Plato’s Closet?
The items available at Plato’s Closet change daily, but typically include an assortment of trendy and gently used clothing, shoes, and accessories from popular brands.
Can I sell my clothes at Plato’s Closet?
Yes, Plato’s Closet buys gently used clothing, shoes, and accessories from customers.
How does Plato’s Closet determine the price they will pay for my items?
Plato’s Closet considers several factors when pricing items, including brand, style, condition, and current inventory levels.
Are there any promotions or discounts available at Plato’s Closet?
Plato’s Closet offers various promotions and discounts throughout the year. Customers can check their website or follow them on social media for current offers.
Dhare is a popular blogger and also runs a boutique business. He has a lot of years of experience, so he knows a lot about fashion in general. So, he is sharing his information and technical stuff in this diary.